What’s better than achieving glowing healthy skin? The process! I’ve found my new holy grail of at-home skincare with this incredible lemon honey sugar facial scrub I created right in my kitchen.
During this quarantine I have really learned to take better care of my skin. I’ve learned the patience and figured out a way to incorporate nature into my skincare routine to create a more clean form of skincare. Being over 30, I wish I started focusing on clean skincare earlier, but it’s better late than never.
The delight and joy of re-discovering the brilliant things nature can give us is such a great feeling. Especially when it leaves you with better skin. I’ve been spending days and nights in my kitchen playing with nature’s gifts and have created so many wonderful and effective skincare/hair treatments.
I’m still on my way to discovering cleaner products but I figured the first way to glowy, healthier skin is right in your kitchen! Masks and scrubs are the easiest way to dip your toes into formulating your very own new natural and personalized skincare method. One of the first and most energizing at-home concoctions I created was this lemon honey sugar facial scrub.
This facial scrub has so many benefits for your skin. Below, I’ve listed all the best benefits of each ingredient. This can help educate you and inspire you to perhaps mix up other things together to create something different (perhaps add olive oil if you have very dry skin).
The Benefits of LEMON:
- ANTIOXIDANT. Naturally contains Vitamin C which reduces skin damage and premature aging (yay!).
- Lemon tightens the pores and evens out your skin tone.
- Has astringent qualities meaning it decreases oil on the skin and reduces inflammation.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties which aide in fighting against acne
The Benefits of SUGAR:
- Sugar acts as an amazing natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells and cleans pores.
- Acts as a natural humectant and takes the moisture from the air into your skin.
- Glycolic and Alpha-hydroxy acid contents help maintain balance in your skin so it won’t become too dry or too oily. These elements aide in helping with both aging and sun-damaged skin.
The Benefits of HONEY (raw):
- MANUKA HONEY is a great natural healer. It is packed with components beneficial to your skin. It is known for helping with acne and autoimmune skin conditions (psoriasis and eczema) and helps balance bacteria on your skin. In particular, Manuka Honey.
- Nourishing and soothing with healing properties for healing wounds and fighting against acne scars.
- Naturally exfoliating and helps reveal new skin cells.
- Works as a clarifying agent to open up and unclog pores.
- Full of antioxidants and boost collagen, giving you a healthy glow while preventing aging.
*This scrub is recommended to be used 2x a week. I always do Sunday/Monday morning and Thursday (pretty much the days I wash my hair and do any extra beauty/skincare treatments.
1 1/2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
1 TABLESPOON HONEY
- Put honey over the lemon.
- Add sugar.
- Gently in upward circular motions scrub your face (avoiding eye area).
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Glow on about your day!
Keep in mind, dont squeeze the lemon. Lemon juice has whitening agents and if you don’t end up rinsing off your product and going into the sun you could white spots from the lightening agent. Just scrub gently, and in upward circles. I have never had this issue, but I have seen it and heard it happen to others.
- Take the lemon and squeeze a few drops (4-5) of lemon juice into the the honey.
- Add the sugar.
- Stir well.
- Massage in upward circular motion onto skin.
- Rinse off.
I hope you guys enjoyed this DIY clean and natural skincare product that you can do at home with just three ingredients. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and YouTube for more on beauty and skincare :).
Will you try it?
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments below 🙂